If you were the TV watching types you would know I am referring to the one common factor in all of the above- the beautiful girl who was a part of all of the above campaigns –Rani or Rajlaxmi Khanvilkar was an iconic model and a face of many brands in the past like Garden Vareli, Wega, Cadbury’s to name a few. She was also a popular host of Channel V’s ‘BPL Oye’ and was seen in many music videos. In 2004, Rani moved away from modeling only to return in a new avatar.
In 2004, Rani moved away from modeling only to return in a new avatar. Rani completed her hair styling and make up course from Australia and worked there for some time as a stylist for couture fashion shows and adverts. Inspired by Kevyn Aucoin, the renowned make artist Rani has an innovative approach to styling.
From stage to back stage, a top model turned stylist, Rani speaks to The Woman Company about makeup and her idea of it.
1.What is trending in make up for autumn/winter this year?
The trend is definitely be heading towards a more clean and fresh looking skin, groomed to minimalism. Some of the looks are:
- Perfectly imperfect lips and same with the eyes
- Soft smudged eyes to some really clean work on the eye
- Soft rose stained cheeks
- What are the basic cosmetics a woman must have?
Skincare: A woman must carry a good cleanser, scrub, and moisturizer.
Makeup: Eyebrow pencil, masacra, concealer, cheekstain, lipstain/stick
- You have worked both as a model and a stylist. Do you think both are the two sides of the same coin?
I personally think they are totally different. Styling for me is to have a great eye for finer details in design and make up and I believe I have that. Being educated and trained in it, helped me take my skills further ahead. I never took it for granted that I had faired a great deal in front of the camera and I would be ready to take it directly on styling. Having said that, the transition into styling was much smoother with the background of a model.
- Who do you think is your inspiration or whose make up styles do you like to watch out for?
I absolutely love the makeup and styling for Deepika Padukone, Sonam Kapoor, Kangana Ranaut and Priyanka Chopra. Their teams have totally nailed their respective looks.
- What is the best and fuss free way to have a baby soft skin? And how does one take care of the skin in the monsoon?
I am a believer of the mantra – ‘less is more’. Keep your skin care as simple as you can and your skin will thank you for it. I personally like to get a face clean up done once in a month. Otherwise, I stick with a good cleanser and moisturiser.
- If you had the opportunity, how would you style- Aishwarya Rai for Cannes; Priyanka Chopra for her Hollywood TV shows and c) Sonam Kapoor for Paris Fashion week
Exactly as they were. Each one’s style statement is just perfect.
- If you just have 10 minutes to get ready for a party, how and what would your style be in terms of apparel, accessories and make up?
Black power dress, clutch, black heels and a statement watch with clean face with fresh nude makeup.
- Three things that you think are essential for make up?
I’ll be greedy ask for a few more 🙂 Eyebrow pencil, masacra, concealer, cheekstain, lipstain/stick.